Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Slowly Adjusting to the Fuji X-Pro1

There's no doubt in my mind that the Fuji X-Pro1 can make images in a wide range of lighting situations.  This photograph of Junior was made in extremely low light at a high ISO at F1.4.  I've found myself pushing the shutter button in response to subject matter that I've not done since I was still using the Leica M6.  There's a freedom when I use an optical view finder to look at the world.

That said -- focusing the X-Pro1 is frustrating.  I had read a lot about concerns with the auto-focus speed, but how you apply the auto-focus is quirky to say the least.  At this point I'm still exploring but anyone considering this camera MUST understand that it does not focus in the same manner as a DSLR.

I'm closing in on a reliable focusing process though.  One that many other X-Pro1 shooters use with great success.

The 35mm F1.4 lens provides exceptional sharpness and at large apertures a really fine, shallow depth of field.  In the morning I walk with the dogs and take advantage of them as subjects.  Here Junior was watching the runners from the Catholic School do their morning practice.

I set the dynamic range of the Fuji X-Pro1 on auto.  It handles contrasty light very well.

During a ride on the Vespa scooter I ran across this old farm outbuilding.  It's slowly being devoured by vines.  I've made dozens if not hundreds of this sort of photograph.  Something about the lone object in space is attractive.  If I had more time I suspect I could find a metaphor for life here.

Another example of how well the Fuji X-Pro1handles contrasty light.  I never planned to use this camera for my Scooter in the Sticks blog photos but it provides a different way of seeing so I may just haul it along.

A self-portrait made late yesterday evening.  It was almost dark but the camera did a fine job of capturing an image.  The image -- retirement has meant fewer interactions with the razor and barber shop.  I've not decided if I'm sporting rugged outdoorsman look or crazy old coot look.

I'll have to test it in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment