Sunday, May 8, 2016


A Well-Tagged Warning
I found these signs along a foot path and was unclear what danger was around. Territorial warnings trump the original message. They made me think of madness---the madness of the group rather than the one, "Helter Skelter." But, there's an element of time as well, as if each sign is a record of human activity. The signatures and words cover not only the face of the sign but each other as well. The original intention of the signs is lost. They live on in service of the people who have signed them.

1 comment:

  1. Those two images are stark and forbidding -- about as close to a slap in the face as you can get in a photograph. They're like a big stop sign saying proceed no further. But what makes them so intense is the cacophony of color and shape. It's like madness.

    After I looked at them awhile I kept asking myself why I didn't think graffitti -- but they are on a completely different level. Very unsettling.

    From a technical point of view I would like to see the signs more "isolated". Perhaps a big lens and shallower depth of field. Or maybe flash at night. That could make them even more striking.

    I wonder a bit about how they made you feel...

    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

    ReplyDelete