Saturday, May 21, 2016

Reflecting Emotion

Finding these lonely crosses, icons of loss for some anonymous family or loved one, leaves me with a sinking feeling.  Placed at the summit cross of Jacks Mountain adds a sweeping perspective of the world and reflects the notion of how small we all are in the world.  

Even in the bright sun there's a heaviness to this.

A similar feeling found me when I peered into the sky on a rainy day.  And I felt that same sense of insignificance.  Not sure anyone else does and am not sure why I'm drawn that direction.

Suppose I'll keep photographing until I answer the question.  Maybe I never will.

2 comments:

  1. There is an "old world" feel to the cross---in the way that it's a small tribute. You are right, the bright colors and sunlight should give me a lighter feeling. I suppose that if I didn't know what the roadside cross represented I would assume it was an Easter decoration, and the bright colors would be a celebration. But, I can't help but picture a family member---maybe a mother---carefully placing the cross and arranging the flowers. And the second image becomes what she sees when she looks up---a darker, joyless sky.

    I like how the second image throws me off balance. At first glance it looks like it could be a reflection in water. The branches and leaves are taking over. They struggle to block out the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the old world feel. On a path not far from my grandfather's house in Germany was a small cross in a little box with flowers. I don't remember it as colorful but it did mark something that had happened there that someone wanted to remember. And have remembered. I often wonder how much of that is in play as I make photographs or write blog posts -- creating paintings on the cave walls saying "I was here".

    The image of the sky and the way you see it surprised me. Probably because I so thoroughly enjoy dark skies. There's no heaviness or lack of joy in what I see. For me they're about mystery and magic and unseen adventure.

    You probably see dirty pictures in those inkblot pictures!

    ReplyDelete